Dentist in Las Vegas, NV describes alternatives to services such as the placement of dental implants
At Hillside Dental
in Las Vegas, NV, Dr. Christopher Lim and his team of professionals are
here to help patients in achieving beautiful, healthy, fully-functional
smiles. When issues such as tooth loss occur, it is important for
patients to learn about services such as the placement and restoration
of dental implants by our dentist, as well as discuss alternatives that may be used if patients are not proper candidates.
Dental implants are a restoration that can be used to replace one or more teeth within the smile. Dr. Christopher Lim
and his team encourage patients to choose dental implants whenever
possible because of their many advantages. These restorations are
essentially titanium screws that the dentist places into the bone of the
jaw. They are then restored with a crown, bridge, or denture, depending
on the patient’s specific needs.
Advantages of dental implants
Dental implants are:
- An investment – though more expensive than alternatives, dental implants can last a lifetime, costing far less over time than other options.
- Permanent – with proper care, dental implants will last decades and rarely require replacement.
- Natural-looking – once dental implants are restored over the top, they are completely natural looking when done with quality materials such as porcelain and ceramics.
- Strong – patients with dental implants will be able to enjoy their favorite foods without worry, as they are strong and durable options.
- Helpful in maintaining bone – because the placement of a dental implant can stimulate the process of osseointegration (bone growth) around the restoration, they can also help in building up bone and maintaining it over the course of time.
- Versatile – implants are used in a number of ways, and can restore a single tooth or an entire arch of teeth, depending on how the dentist restores them.
What are alternatives to dental implants?
With tooth replacement, there are a few options available in addition to
dental implants. They include dentures and bridges. Dentures are used
in a number of ways and can replace one or several teeth. Full dentures
replace all the teeth in the arch, while partial dentures replace one or
more on the top or bottom. Dental bridges, on the other hand, replace
one or more in a row. These restorations are made of ceramic and include
false teeth fused to crowns so the bridge can be placed over the
adjacent teeth for support. Some patients who are not proper candidates
for traditional dental implants may need to seek alternatives, which are
readily available at Hillside Dental.
Who is a candidate for a dental implant?
The primary concern when it comes to placing a dental implant is the
amount of bone available in the jaw to hold the implant in place. Dental
implants require patients to have sufficient bone in order for the
implant to take hold and to stimulate the body’s process of bone growth
through osseointegration. Without this, the dental implant will not have
a proper foundation and the surgery will be unsuccessful. Dr.
Christopher Lim evaluates a patient to see if they can enjoy dental
implants by taking x-rays and checking the amount of bone available. If
there is not sufficient bone to support a dental implant, patients may
need to consider the alternatives available to them or seek a solution
such as bone grafting. An oral surgeon can do bone grafting to build up
the bone of the jaw and prepare it for the placement of dental implants.
However, this has an extra cost and does require some time to complete
before the area is ready for the placement of a dental restoration. This
and more can be discussed with Dr. Christopher Lim and his team during a
consultation visit and initial examination.
Are you a candidate for dental implants?
When faced with tooth replacement solutions, patients are urged to visit Dr. Christopher Lim and his team to determine if they are candidates for dental implants or alternative services. We encourage new patients in the area of Las Vegas, NV to seek a consultation appointment and find out more. At Hillside Dental, we offer solutions for patients ready to restore their smiles! Call 702-666-8584 today to book an appointment at our office, conveniently located at 6090 South Fort Apache Road, Suite 120.