Las Vegas residents suffering from sleep apnea can reduce the effects with lifestyle changes
Are you spending your nights tossing and turning, unable to sleep? Do you wake up every morning feeling like you didn’t sleep at all? Do your loved ones tease you about your snores shaking the walls of your room? Do you spend your day struggling to concentrate and unable to remember simple things? You might be suffering from sleep apnea. Hillside Dental, located in Las Vegas, can help you with a diagnosis and treatment plan to stop the suffering!
What sleep apnea is:
The form most people have is called obstructive sleep apnea. It is a common condition that can be treated to avoid the side effects associated with it. If you have obstructive sleep apnea, your airway becomes blocked multiple times a night. This is what causes the choking or snoring noises others may have told you about hearing at night. As your air is limited, oxygen deprivation to your body and brain sets in, which often causes you to partially wake up. Someone with sleep apnea may wake dozens of times a night with no awareness of actually waking up. Apnea refers to the temporary pause of breath, caused by your tongue or tissue at the back of your throat blocking the airway due to the muscles relaxing in slumber.
Symptoms of sleep apnea:
- Loud and frequent snoring
- Choking or gasping while asleep
- Fatigue and sleepiness during the daytime
- Headaches in the morning
- Difficulty concentrating
- Memory loss
- Waking multiple times during the night to use the bathroom
- Diminished sleep quality
Book an Appointment today.
Effects of sleep apnea:
It’s important to not dismiss apnea as a minor annoyance or inconvenience. Untreated apnea can lead to high blood pressure, heart disease, strokes, diabetes, and suicidal thoughts and actions. Lifestyle changes that can help ease symptoms:
- Manage your weight to a healthy level. Extra weight, especially that around the jaw and neck, have a higher chance to cause sleep apnea. The extra weight can put pressure on your airway or tongue while sleeping.
- Minimize alcohol consumption: Alcohol relaxes the central nervous system. If you consume too much alcohol, it can relax the throat muscles and speed the collapse of the upper airway.
- Quit smoking: Smokers have a harder time breathing to begin with. For those with apnea, cigarettes increase apnea symptoms.
Treatment that Hillside Dental can help you with:
Many are surprised that a dentist can help manage sleep
apnea with treatment and lifestyle advice. At Hillside Dental, we
believe in helping our patients lead healthy and happy lifestyles with
healthcare providers they can trust and rely on. That’s why we offer our
dental patients sleep apnea treatment, rather than creating the
inconvenience of multiple providers.
You’ve possibly heard of the CPAP machine, which is how many doctors treat obstructive sleep apnea. They do an effective job at helping keep the airway open and adequate oxygen flow going to the body and brain during sleep. However, we have found that oral airway appliances are just as effective in most cases, with a lot less “fuss.” The sleep appliance we use to treat your sleep apnea is designed to optimally position your jaw to keep your airway open the entire time you sleep.
Advantages to oral airway appliances:
- Non-intrusive: CPAP machines are reported as noisy and uncomfortable. Our appliance is silent.
- Easy to use: You just place the appliance into place right before bed, a procedure that takes seconds to complete.
- Convenient: It is very hard to travel with a CPAP and to use while not at home. An oral appliance can easily fit into a carry-on bag or purse.
Are you ready to wake up refreshed from a full and complete night of sleep? Here at Hillside Dental, we are ready to help you face and conquer your sleep apnea symptoms.Call and talk to our caring office staff to schedule your consultation today. Discover the difference we can make in your life! We look forward to meeting you. 702-666-8584