Dentist in Las Vegas, NV describes alternatives to services such as the placement of dental implantsPosted By Dr. Christopher Lim
At Hillside Dental in Las Vegas, NV, Dr. Christopher Lim and his team of professionals are here to help patients in achieving beautiful, healthy, fully-functional smiles. When issues such as tooth loss occur, it is important for patients to learn about services such as the placement and restoration of dental implants by our dentist, as well as discuss alternatives that may be used if patients are not proper candidates.
Implants explainedDental implants are a restoration that can be used to replace one or more teeth within the smile. Dr. Christopher Lim and his team encourage patients to choose dental implants whenever possible because of their many advantages. These restorations are essentially titanium screws that the dentist places into the bone of the jaw. They are then restored with a crown, bridge, or denture, depending on the patient’s specific needs.
Advantages of dental implants
Dental implants are:
- An investment – though more expensive than alternatives, dental implants can last a lifetime, costing far less over time than other options.
- Permanent – with proper care, dental implants will last decades and rarely require replacement.
- Natural-looking – once dental implants are restored over the top, they are completely natural looking when done with quality materials such as porcelain and ceramics.
- Strong – patients with dental implants will be able to enjoy their favorite foods without worry, as they are strong and durable options.
- Helpful in maintaining bone – because the placement of a dental implant can stimulate the process of osseointegration (bone growth) around the restoration, they can also help in building up bone and maintaining it over the course of time.
- Versatile – implants are used in a number of ways, and can restore a single tooth or an entire arch of teeth, depending on how the dentist restores them.
Schedule Your Appointment Today 702-666-8584
What are alternatives to dental implants?With tooth replacement, there are a few options available in addition to dental implants. They include dentures and bridges. Dentures are used in a number of ways and can replace one or several teeth. Full dentures replace all the teeth in the arch, while partial dentures replace one or more on the top or bottom. Dental bridges, on the other hand, replace one or more in a row. These restorations are made of ceramic and include false teeth fused to crowns so the bridge can be placed over the adjacent teeth for support. Some patients who are not proper candidates for traditional dental implants may need to seek alternatives, which are readily available at Hillside Dental.
Who is a candidate for a dental implant?
The primary concern when it comes to placing a dental implant is the amount of bone available in the jaw to hold the implant in place. Dental implants require patients to have sufficient bone in order for the implant to take hold and to stimulate the body’s process of bone growth through osseointegration. Without this, the dental implant will not have a proper foundation and the surgery will be unsuccessful. Dr. Christopher Lim evaluates a patient to see if they can enjoy dental implants by taking x-rays and checking the amount of bone available. If there is not sufficient bone to support a dental implant, patients may need to consider the alternatives available to them or seek a solution such as bone grafting. An oral surgeon can do bone grafting to build up the bone of the jaw and prepare it for the placement of dental implants. However, this has an extra cost and does require some time to complete before the area is ready for the placement of a dental restoration. This and more can be discussed with Dr. Christopher Lim and his team during a consultation visit and initial examination.