Las Vegas, NV dentist helps demystify the types of dental crowns available
Most people aren’t aware of the options available to them to rehabilitate their smiles. It leaves them limited on choosing the best plan to repair their teeth and improve the appearance of their smile and their oral health. Hillside Dental, located in Las Vegas, NV, is committed to patient education and empowerment. We believe in letting you know each option available to you. One such option is dental crowns. Dental crowns are amazing for the array of functions they serve. We want you to understand what a dental crown does, what types of crowns are out there, and the benefits to each type.
What a dental crown does:
A dental crown is a restoration that is carefully crafted to match your surrounding teeth. The different functions it can have are:
- Protection: A crown can cover a weak tooth to keep it from decaying further or it can shield a cracked tooth from further damage.
- Coverage: Sometimes a tooth needs a dental filling that is simply too large to strengthen the remaining tooth structure. A crown is used in these cases.
- Support: A crown is used to anchor dental bridges in place.
- Replace: For dental implants, a crown is used on top of the implant to replace a missing tooth.
- Rehabilitate: They can also be used to even out severely misshapen teeth or to cover permanent stains on the natural tooth that whitening can’t treat.
Types of crowns offered at Hillside Dental:
- Metal alloy
- Porcelain fused to metal
- All porcelain
Advantages to each type of crown available:
- Metal alloy crown: These are recognizable by their silver color. They’re great at handling the pressures exerted by biting and chewing. They’re often seen as the longest-lasting type of crown available. They rarely chip or break. This is an excellent option for molars.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal: These are an excellent choice as well. They can be matched to the shade of the surrounding teeth. They are one of the more natural looking crown restorations. These types of crowns are excellent for back teeth, or as support for a dental bridge, where the metal provides the necessary strength.
- Gold: These types of crowns offer the same advantages as our metal alloy crowns. They are long-lasting, strong, and chip resistant.
- All porcelain: Porcelain is seen as the material that most closely resembles tooth enamel in look and function. They are the easiest for us to color match to the rest of your teeth. This is an excellent option for people looking for the most natural looking restoration or those with metal allergies. They’re also ideal for crowning front teeth to keep the smile gorgeous and intact.
Why Hillside Dental is your new place to be:
- Patient-centered care: We take the opportunity to get to know you, your lifestyle, and your goals. This helps Dr. Lim create the best individualized treatment plan for you. During your consultation, we will discuss both the benefits and drawbacks of each type of crown to help you make the most informed decision for your patient care. We then choose the treatment that best fits your lifestyle and budget.
- The latest in technological innovative care: We are committed to helping our patients get the best in oral health with comfortable care. We offer digital x-rays, distilled water, ultrasonic scaling, Lumineers and more.
- Our relaxing office: We have designed our office to be soothing. We want our patients to feel welcomed by the atmosphere, as well as our commitment to friendly, compassionate, and gentle care.
- Our commitment to care: From the moment you call us to helping you maximize your dental insurance benefits and payment options, we are here for you.
Don’t let a damaged smile destroy your self-esteem. We want to help you make informed decisions on the best dental care options. We will educate you as to your choices. We take the time to determine the best treatment path for you. Come see the difference compassionate, artistic dental care can have on your life. Call us today at 702-666-8584.