Tooth decay prevention tips from trusted Las Vegas family dentist
Thousands of families make their home in
southwest Las Vegas. Those parents want the best for their children,
including a lifetime of good health and beautiful smiles. However, the
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research finds that 42
percent of children aged two to 11 have dental caries (cavities). Dr.
Christopher Lim is the Las Vegas family dentist that 89148 zip code area
patients trust for pediatric dentistry advice. He shares these tips for
prevention of tooth decay.
Balance the mouth
Many different types of bacteria live in your child’s mouth, and some are helpful. Others cause tooth decay. These bacteria love food that is high in sugar and starch. As they feast, they excrete an acidic toxin that eats through tooth enamel, leading to cavities.
So, a sterile mouth isn’t necessarily the healthiest mouth. Rather, it’s important to strive for bacterial balance. Help your child achieve that balance by starting these good dental healthcare habits early:
- Brush after eating to remove the sticky film of harmful bacterial plaque from teeth and soft tissues.
- Use fluoride toothpaste to fortify teeth against decay.
- A soft toothbrush gets between teeth and is kind to enamel and gums.
- Floss before bedtime to remove food debris and plaque between teeth.
- Eat a nutritious diet with fresh produce, whole grains, lean proteins, and low-fat dairy products.
- Limit between meal snacks; especially sweets, acidic beverages (including sports drinks), and fruit juices.
- Drink plenty of fresh, fluoridated water to keep saliva flowing. That helps to flush plaque and food particles from the mouth. Plus, saliva naturally replenishes minerals necessary for strong tooth enamel.
A little help from a friend
In addition to healthy home habits, Dr. Lim is your friend and partner in cavity prevention with:
- Bi-annual cleanings and examinations.
- Special techniques for early detection of cavities, while they are small and treatable with minimal discomfort and expense.
- Sealants to keep cavity-causing elements out of natural pits and grooves in chewing surfaces of molars.
- Fluoride treatments for extra protection against acid attack.
Book an Appointment today.
Does your family dentist truly partner with you in preventive pediatric care? Call Hillside Dental in Las Vegas for an appointment with Dr. Lim. The number is 702-666-8584.