Why Las Vegas, NV area patients should choose preventive dental treatments
At Hillside Dental in Las Vegas, NV, patients are welcome to ask about the benefits of preventive dental treatments. Why choose preventative care? What is the importance of maintaining a healthy smile? Why should I choose Hillside Dental for my oral health care needs? There are many essential questions patients may have when it comes to addressing their health and wellness, and our dental staff can help!
What is preventative dentistry?
Preventative dentistry is a proactive approach to dental health and wellness. Many patients who do not visit their dentist regularly take a more “reactive approach” to their oral health. These patients wait until something goes wrong before they visit the dentist. Unfortunately, this can be risky and also much more expensive over time. Instead, patients should be focused on preventing problems from happening and maintaining their oral health by attending routine visits with Dr. Christopher Lim to achieve the results they desire. Preventative dentistry includes treatments that are performed to maintain oral health and keep the smile healthy, while getting an early diagnosis as soon as there are signs of a problem.
What preventative dental treatments are available at Hillside Dental?
We offer a variety of preventative dental care solutions:
- Oral examinations – an oral examination is a physical evaluation of the teeth and gums by Dr. Christopher Lim. During this time, patients may undergo a series of x-rays to check bone and tooth health, or may have a professional cleaning performed.
- Professional cleanings – brushing and flossing after every meal is highly encouraged, but there are times when it is still difficult to thoroughly brush the teeth. We welcome patients into our practice on a regular basis for professional cleaning to remove plaque, tartar, and bacteria from the smile.
- Tissue grafting – for patients who have lost gum tissue, tissue grafting can be performed to add tissue and even out the gum line.
- Gum lifts – alternatively, gum lifts are performed for patients who may have what appears as a “gummy smile.” Gum lifts reduce the amount of gum tissue to make sure the smile is better proportioned in terms of the natural teeth and the gum tissue.
- Periodontal services – when patients have received a diagnosis of gum disease, we offer treatment. This includes cleanings to eliminate gingivitis and even services such as scaling and root planing for patients with the later stages of periodontitis. Antibiotics may be applied or prescribed for patients during this time, and more routine appointments are scheduled to monitor oral health as the smile is treated and healing.
What are the negative results of “reactive dentistry?”
Some patients wait until a problem arises before they see a dentist. However, this can be costly and is not the proper way of maintaining oral health and wellness. An example of that is periodontal disease. The signs of this condition can be caught early enough for intervention to bring the smile back to health. However, if it is not diagnosed early, it cannot be cured. Some patients don’t seek assistance until it’s too late. Additionally, conditions such as cavities can be caught early and treated before they become a serious issue. A cavity can become large and deep and can affect the dental pulp inside of the tooth. When left untreated, conditions may arise that require invasive procedures such as root canal therapy or even extraction of a natural tooth. Early treatment of decay is easy with fillings and can avoid extensive work that may need to be done due to lack of treatment.
Schedule a visit at Hillside Dental today!
Patients in and around the community of Las Vegas, NV are welcome to book an appointment to learn more about the benefits of choosing preventative dental care instead of reactive dental care. Dr. Christopher Lim and our team of professionals are here to help patients reach optimum oral health and maintain it for life! Schedule a visit at our practice at 6090 South Fort Apache Road, Suite 120 by calling 702-666-8584. We welcome new patients to educate them on the key elements of oral health and wellness!