Same day crowns with CEREC procedure at Hillside Dental in Las Vegas
Modern dentistry has evolved immensely in the last decade. Today, advancements in dental technology allow dentists to more accurately diagnose and treat damage in the mouth while also improving the appearance of the smile. At Hillside Dental, we offer patients a comprehensive list of general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry services that can work together to improve oral health and the look of the smile. One of the ways we do this is with CEREC one day crowns. Dental crowns are one of the most common dental restorations, and the CEREC procedure allows us to design, create, and place crowns in just one appointment.
CEREC has really changed things for both dental providers and patients alike. The CEREC procedure is convenient, because it eliminates the entire second appointment that is usually required with a dental crown. Patients can have their crown designed, fabricated, and placed all in one appointment. While this is a great benefit, it’s not the only advantage to CEREC.
What are Porcelain Crowns?Porcelain crowns are caps that are placed over teeth to protect and strengthen the damaged structure. Crowns are made of a tooth-colored substance called porcelain to make sure they look natural. Porcelain has many of the same visual characteristics as natural tooth enamel, allowing the crown to blend in seamlessly in the smile. They are cemented into place over the damaged tooth and are an excellent restoration for broken teeth or cavities.
Reasons for needing a porcelain crown:
- Call your dentist and schedule an appointment at your earliest convenience. A damaged tooth can potentially break more, or even become infected, which could cause you to require extraction. Prompt care for a broken tooth is the best way to minimize the risk of that.
- Rinse the area with warm salt water. If you are in pain, you can take an over the counter pain reliever. For sharp edges, you can cover the tooth with wax or even sugar-free gum in a pinch.
- In the interim, eat soft foods, and try to avoid chewing or biting on the side of the mouth with the damaged tooth.
What are CEREC crowns?While traditional dental crowns are typically placed in two separate appointments, CEREC crowns can be placed in a single day. Using CAD/CAM technology, our team can treat the damaged or infected tooth, take impressions, design the crown, and have it milled in the office.
During the appointment, 3D imaging is used to create a digital impression of the mouth. An intraoral camera is used to take highly accurate images of the teeth which are then used to measure the area for placement of the crown. This means no more bad-tasting, uncomfortable impression material. This process can be completed in a matter of minutes.
From there, we will use the CAD technology to design your crown. Once we are satisfied with the design of the crown, the milling unit uses a high-quality ceramic block to fabricate the crown. The entire process is highly customizable as we create a crown that will blend in seamlessly with the smile.
The benefits of CEREC crowns include:
- CEREC restorations utilize high quality ceramic that mimics the appearance of natural tooth enamel. This allows your brand-new restoration to fit in seamlessly within the smile.
- CEREC restorations are strong, allowing them to withstand the force of essential functions like biting and chewing.
- CEREC restorations can help keep the remaining portion of the tooth healthy. They are held in place through bonding that can reduce the potential for bacterial penetration.
- CEREC restorations are natural looking. They are fabricated with a ceramic that can be color-matched to the remaining teeth. The translucency and sheen of ceramic is very similar to natural tooth enamel, which means no one will even notice that you have a crown!
If you are in the Las Vegas area and would like to learn more about this game changing procedure,
please call our office today at 702-666-8584