Las Vegas dentist gives area patients tips for successful dental implants treatment
have become a preferred long-term tooth replacement treatment for many
good reasons. Implant restorations look, feel, and function like natural
teeth and preserve facial bone. Whether you are considering your first
implant or coming back to Hillside Dental for another, you will benefit from the following tips from Dr. Christopher Lim. He has been serving patients in the Las Vegas area since 2005.
Helping patients in the Las Vegas area prepare for dental implants treatment
Precise planning is key to the success of dental
To prepare for this appointment, please bring a list (
While implant placement is an oral surgery, from the patient’s perspective it is brief and minimally traumatic. The doctor talks with you in advance about anesthesia options. Local numbing is all that’s needed for many patients. Others who are a bit nervous about the procedure may prefer a prescription dose of oral conscious sedation to help them stay relaxed.
At this visit, you may need to make some payment decisions. Don’t worry – our administrative team is here to help. These knowledgeable individuals assist in securing an estimate of coverage from your insurer, if you have dental benefits. Some patients prefer to put out-of-pocket expenses on a major credit card with “cash back” rewards to knock several percent off their costs. Hillside Dental also accepts CareCredit, a special kind of financing designed just for healthcare, with flexible low- and no-interest payback terms.
On the day of implant placement
This is an exciting day! Be sure to follow pre-procedure instructions provided by Hillside Dental, which may include:
- Stock your kitchen with favorite soft foods to enjoy for a few days. Start with soups, pudding, and smoothies, progressing to mashed potatoes, pasta, rice, and fish as your mouth heals.
- Fast before your appointment (depending upon the method of sedation to be used).
- Try to get a good night’s sleep. Again, if you are very anxious about the procedure, tell Dr. Lim. He may prescribe an extra dose of sedative to take the night before, so you rest well.
- Wear comfortable clothing to the appointment.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home. You may be a bit groggy from sedation, and it is a good idea to relax the rest of the day even if you only have local numbing.
- Get prescriptions filled, and begin taking them right away, according to Dr. Lim’s instructions.
- You may want to take the next day off work if you have a strenuous job. This usually is not necessary for a desk or light duty job, but please avoid strenuous activity, heavy lifting, and deep bending for three days.
Preserving your smile for a lifetime
Recovery from implant placement is generally uneventful
with good oral hygiene. The surgical site may be closed with a suture
or two, or a healing cap placed. Dr. Lim provides detailed care
instructions for the first few days, then you may return to a daily
hygiene routine brushing after eating and flossing before bedtime.
Over several months, the implant becomes integrated into your jawbone, just like a tooth root. Then the implant is finished with a crown restoration. You can use special interdental brushes to keep the implant and area around it especially clean. This extra care greatly reduces risk of implant failure in the future. Maintain regular dental checkups and avoid damaging habits like chewing on ice or hard candy, to protect your implant restoration. Do you have more questions about dental implants treatment? Contact Hillside Dental at 702-666-8584 to schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Lim.